Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Kindle



The Kindle is a $300 device that allows you to read books. Can I get a WTF?

I need books in several places: my chair, my bedside table, my son's karate class, my doctor's office, and my bathroom. That's a lot of moving around for a book. WAIT -- NO, IT ISN'T. IT'S A BOOK. IT IS EASIER TO TRANSPORT THAN THE KINDLE. There is no worry involved in book transport. This is not the iPod versus an entire record collection. This is an electronic device that's shaped like a book versus a book. Okay, more than one book, but what the hell? Do you really need your whole library at the touch of a button? Isn't it more satisfying to walk over to the shelf, run your finger along the spines, and pull down a book? And perhaps take that book with you somewhere? Jesus, people have really gotten stupid.

Look, it's obvious that I don't live the same life as a person who feels that it is necessary to own a Kindle. I'm sure there are many people who love their Kindles. I've heard about the ease of searching a text for words or phrases. The Kindle never killed a tree. Whatever.

It really all boils down to one thing.

Using a Kindle in public makes you look like an incredible douche.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant. This elucidates why I felt uneasy about the kindle, and now I feel stupid for not having been able to put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete